Jagiellonian University Repository

The archconfraternity of the rosary in the Dominican churches of Kraków : piety and patronage of Arts

pcg.skipToMenu

The archconfraternity of the rosary in the Dominican churches of Kraków : piety and patronage of Arts

Show full item record

dc.contributor.author Walczak, Marek [SAP11014309] pl
dc.contributor.author Czyżewski, Krzysztof pl
dc.date.accessioned 2019-03-25T14:42:43Z
dc.date.available 2019-03-25T14:42:43Z
dc.date.issued 2018 pl
dc.identifier.issn 1408-0419 pl
dc.identifier.uri https://ruj.uj.edu.pl/xmlui/handle/item/71355
dc.language eng pl
dc.rights Dodaję tylko opis bibliograficzny *
dc.rights.uri *
dc.title The archconfraternity of the rosary in the Dominican churches of Kraków : piety and patronage of Arts pl
dc.type JournalArticle pl
dc.description.physical 139-162 pl
dc.identifier.weblink http://uifs1.zrc-sazu.si/index.php?q=en/node/447 pl
dc.abstract.en The essay deals with the artistic milieu of the Archconfraternity of the Rosary at the Dominican Holy Trinity Church in Kraków. Dominicans were zealous promoters of the rosary, and numerous Rosary brotherhoods were established, typically a liated with Dominican churches. erefore, it seems almost certain that in Kraków, as early as the 15th century, the Dominican Order of Preachers encouraged the formation of such a confraternity. Indirect evidence of this is preserved in the Convent’s Archive in Kraków, in documents concerning the Dominican Confraternities ofthe Rosary, issued by Pope Innocent VIII in 1484 and by the General of the Order, Augustine Recuperati, in 1539. In any case, in 1600, the Kraków-based confraternity-at that time already existing “ab immemorabilis tempore”-was reformed by Fr. Abraham Bzowski, who elaborated and published an extensive book on this occasion: Rosary of the Virgin Mary, now reformed anew in Kraków at the Holy Trinity (Kraków 1600 and 1606). Already at that time, the confraternity was referred to as an archconfraternity. The fact that the archconfraternity was given one of the earliest and most important copies in the former Polish Republic of Our Lady of the Snows, a miracle-working image in the Roman basilica of S. Maria Maggiore that was considered a palladium of the Eternal City, was of great importance to its development and extraordinary in uence. The essay discusses the Polish icon’s veneration, decoration, and the new architectural space it received in 1688. pl
dc.subject.en archconfraternity pl
dc.subject.en rosary pl
dc.subject.en Dominican Friars pl
dc.subject.en Cracow pl
dc.subject.en Kingdom of Poland pl
dc.subject.en Salus Populi Romani pl
dc.description.volume 23 pl
dc.description.number 2 pl
dc.description.publication 2 pl
dc.identifier.eissn 2536-4200 pl
dc.title.journal Acta Historiae Artis Slovenica pl
dc.title.volume Illuminating the soul, glorifying the sacred religious confraternities and the visual arts in early modern Europe pl
dc.contributor.institution Umetnostnozgodovinski inštitut Franceta Steleta ZRC SAZU pl
dc.contributor.institution France Stele Institute of Art History ZRC SAZU pl
dc.language.container eng pl
dc.date.accession 2019-03-25 pl
dc.participation Walczak, Marek: 50%; pl
dc.affiliation Wydział Historyczny : Instytut Historii Sztuki pl
dc.subtype Article pl
dc.rights.original OTHER; otwarte czasopismo; ostateczna wersja wydawcy; w momencie opublikowania; 0 pl
dc.identifier.project ROD UJ / O pl
.pointsMNiSW [2018 C]: 10


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)