Odontogenic inflammatory processes of head and neck in computed tomography examinations

2014
journal article
article
14
cris.lastimport.wos2024-04-09T19:37:38Z
dc.abstract.enBackground: Infections of odontogenic origin are the most common cause of inflammatory disease of head and neck region. Computed tomography allows for defining localization and extent of inflammatory lesions, visualizes soft tissue involvement, presence of an abscess or an osteolytic lesion around causative tooth. The aim of this study was to assess pathways, by which odontogenic infections spread into respective deep head and neck structures in computed tomography examination, taking into account the following criteria: frequency of involvement of respective deep cervical spaces, possibility to determine a probable causative tooth and concordance with the results of clinical examination. Material/Methods: Thirty-eight patients cervicofacial inflammatory disease had undergone CT examination of head and neck region with a 64-slice CT scanner after intravenous contrast administration. Results: Abscess was reported in 30 (79%) cases, while inflammatory infiltration was diagnosed in remaining 8 (21%) patients. There was full concordance between radiological report and intraoperative report In 33 cases (87%). The most commonly involved cervical space was masticator space - 31 patients (82%), followed by submandibular space - 27 patients (71%). Dental examination was impossible in 29 patient because of trismus. During analysis of CT studies we evaluated maxillary and mandibular alveolar processes for presence of osteolytic bone lesions around causative teeth roots and we found them in 30 cases (79%). In 32 cases (84%) cervicofacial infection were of mandibular odontogenic origin. Conclusions: In most cases CT study in patients suspected of odontogenic craniofacial infection revealed presence of an abscess, needing urgent surgery. Inflammatory infiltration of dental origin most frequently involves masticator space, followed by submandibular space. In most cases CT scanning allows for identification of causative teeth, especially when trismus makes detailed clinical examination impossible.pl
dc.contributor.authorWabik, Aleksandrapl
dc.contributor.authorHendrich, Barbara K.pl
dc.contributor.authorNienartowicz, Janpl
dc.contributor.authorGuziński, Maciejpl
dc.contributor.authorSąsiadek, Marek J.pl
dc.date.accessioned2017-08-18T06:43:25Z
dc.date.available2017-08-18T06:43:25Z
dc.date.issued2014pl
dc.date.openaccess0
dc.description.accesstimew momencie opublikowania
dc.description.additionalBibliogr. s. 437-438pl
dc.description.physical431-438pl
dc.description.versionostateczna wersja wydawcy
dc.description.volume79pl
dc.identifier.doi10.12659/PJR.890808pl
dc.identifier.eissn1899-0967pl
dc.identifier.issn1733-134Xpl
dc.identifier.urihttp://ruj.uj.edu.pl/xmlui/handle/item/43223
dc.languageengpl
dc.language.containerengpl
dc.rightsUdzielam licencji. Uznanie autorstwa - Użycie niekomercyjne - Bez utworów zależnych 3.0 Polska*
dc.rights.licenceCC-BY-NC-ND
dc.rights.urihttp://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/pl/legalcode*
dc.share.typeotwarte czasopismo
dc.subject.eninflammationpl
dc.subject.enmultidetector computed tomographypl
dc.subject.entoothpl
dc.subtypeArticlepl
dc.titleOdontogenic inflammatory processes of head and neck in computed tomography examinationspl
dc.title.journalPolish Journal of Radiologypl
dc.typeJournalArticlepl
dspace.entity.typePublication
cris.lastimport.wos
2024-04-09T19:37:38Z
dc.abstract.enpl
Background: Infections of odontogenic origin are the most common cause of inflammatory disease of head and neck region. Computed tomography allows for defining localization and extent of inflammatory lesions, visualizes soft tissue involvement, presence of an abscess or an osteolytic lesion around causative tooth. The aim of this study was to assess pathways, by which odontogenic infections spread into respective deep head and neck structures in computed tomography examination, taking into account the following criteria: frequency of involvement of respective deep cervical spaces, possibility to determine a probable causative tooth and concordance with the results of clinical examination. Material/Methods: Thirty-eight patients cervicofacial inflammatory disease had undergone CT examination of head and neck region with a 64-slice CT scanner after intravenous contrast administration. Results: Abscess was reported in 30 (79%) cases, while inflammatory infiltration was diagnosed in remaining 8 (21%) patients. There was full concordance between radiological report and intraoperative report In 33 cases (87%). The most commonly involved cervical space was masticator space - 31 patients (82%), followed by submandibular space - 27 patients (71%). Dental examination was impossible in 29 patient because of trismus. During analysis of CT studies we evaluated maxillary and mandibular alveolar processes for presence of osteolytic bone lesions around causative teeth roots and we found them in 30 cases (79%). In 32 cases (84%) cervicofacial infection were of mandibular odontogenic origin. Conclusions: In most cases CT study in patients suspected of odontogenic craniofacial infection revealed presence of an abscess, needing urgent surgery. Inflammatory infiltration of dental origin most frequently involves masticator space, followed by submandibular space. In most cases CT scanning allows for identification of causative teeth, especially when trismus makes detailed clinical examination impossible.
dc.contributor.authorpl
Wabik, Aleksandra
dc.contributor.authorpl
Hendrich, Barbara K.
dc.contributor.authorpl
Nienartowicz, Jan
dc.contributor.authorpl
Guziński, Maciej
dc.contributor.authorpl
Sąsiadek, Marek J.
dc.date.accessioned
2017-08-18T06:43:25Z
dc.date.available
2017-08-18T06:43:25Z
dc.date.issuedpl
2014
dc.date.openaccess
0
dc.description.accesstime
w momencie opublikowania
dc.description.additionalpl
Bibliogr. s. 437-438
dc.description.physicalpl
431-438
dc.description.version
ostateczna wersja wydawcy
dc.description.volumepl
79
dc.identifier.doipl
10.12659/PJR.890808
dc.identifier.eissnpl
1899-0967
dc.identifier.issnpl
1733-134X
dc.identifier.uri
http://ruj.uj.edu.pl/xmlui/handle/item/43223
dc.languagepl
eng
dc.language.containerpl
eng
dc.rights*
Udzielam licencji. Uznanie autorstwa - Użycie niekomercyjne - Bez utworów zależnych 3.0 Polska
dc.rights.licence
CC-BY-NC-ND
dc.rights.uri*
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/pl/legalcode
dc.share.type
otwarte czasopismo
dc.subject.enpl
inflammation
dc.subject.enpl
multidetector computed tomography
dc.subject.enpl
tooth
dc.subtypepl
Article
dc.titlepl
Odontogenic inflammatory processes of head and neck in computed tomography examinations
dc.title.journalpl
Polish Journal of Radiology
dc.typepl
JournalArticle
dspace.entity.type
Publication
Affiliations

* The migration of download and view statistics prior to the date of April 8, 2024 is in progress.

Views
2
Views per month
Views per city
Ashburn
1
Downloads
wabik_hendrich_nienartowicz_guzinski_sasiadek_odontogenic_inflammatory_processes_of_head_and_neck_in_computed_tomography_examinations_2014.pdf
5