Evaluation of laser computer mammography (CTLM) usefulness in differentiation benign and malignant breast lesions

2008
journal article
article
dc.abstract.enBackground: To evaluate the usefulness of the CTLM method in differentiation between benign and malignant neoplasms in female breast tissue (benign and malignat breast lesions). Material/Methods: Retrospective analysis of 482 lesions in female breast tissue, verified histopathologically on the basis of material obtained by core biopsy. In this study, the CTLM diagnosis was established prior to biopsy, so the radiologist describing the CTLM examination was unaware of the histopathology finding; he/she was however familiar in most cases with the outcome of mammography, was involved in performing/evaluating the mammography and/or performed an ultrasound examination. CTLM examinations not applicable for evaluation because of artifacts were excluded from the analysis. A CTLM examination result was counted as positive, i.e. the presence of angiogenesis was detected, when an area of enhanced laser light absorption was visible and that area was not a normal vascular structure. Results: In 2005, angiogenesis was observed in 25 out of 65 malignant lesions (38.46%) and in 40 cases (61.54%) areas of enhanced laser light absorption were not detected. Among 142 benign lesions, in 57 cases (40.14%) enhanced laser light absorption (ELLA) was observed, whereas in 85 cases (59.86%) it was absent. Coefficients calculated for data acquired in 2005 were as follows: sensitivity = 38%, specificity = 60%, positive predictive value (PPV) = 30%, negative predictive value (NPV) = 68%, diagnostic accuracy = 53%. In 2006, angiogenesis was detected in 46 out of 97 cases (47.42%), whereas in the remaining 51 (52.58%) cases ELLA was not observed. Among 178 benign lesions, in 46 cases (25.84%) ELLA was observed, whereas in 132 cases (74,16%) it was not. Coefficients calculated for data acquired in 2006 were: sensitivity = 47%, specificity = 74%, positive predictive value (PPV) = 50%, negative predictive value (NPV) = 72%, diagnostic accuracy = 65%. The presented data reveal that an increase of absorption of laser light was observed by us more often in cases of malignant lesions that of benign ones (47.42% vs. 25.84%, p<0.001, data from 2006). Conclusions: The obtained results demonstrate that indeed a positive CTLM reading is observed more often in malignant rather than benign lesions, and that the examination is a valuable method adjunct to classic X-ray mammography.pl
dc.contributor.authorBobek-Billewicz, Barbarapl
dc.contributor.authorJurkowski, Marek K.pl
dc.contributor.authorSteinhof-Radwańska, K.pl
dc.contributor.authorStobiecka, Ewapl
dc.date.accession2019-04-29pl
dc.date.accessioned2019-04-29T12:20:18Z
dc.date.available2019-04-29T12:20:18Z
dc.date.issued2008pl
dc.date.openaccess0
dc.description.accesstimew momencie opublikowania
dc.description.additionalBibliogr. s. 31pl
dc.description.number1pl
dc.description.physical27-31pl
dc.description.versionostateczna wersja wydawcy
dc.description.volume73pl
dc.identifier.articleid677287pl
dc.identifier.eissn1899-0967pl
dc.identifier.issn1733-134Xpl
dc.identifier.projectROD UJ / OPpl
dc.identifier.urihttps://ruj.uj.edu.pl/xmlui/handle/item/73879
dc.identifier.weblinkhttp://archiwum.inforadiologia.pl/download/index/idArt/677287.htmlpl
dc.languageengpl
dc.language.containerengpl
dc.rightsUdzielam licencji. Uznanie autorstwa - Użycie niekomercyjne - Bez utworów zależnych 4.0 Międzynarodowa*
dc.rights.licenceCC-BY-NC-ND
dc.rights.urihttp://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode.pl*
dc.share.typeotwarte czasopismo
dc.subject.enCTLMpl
dc.subject.enbreast cancerpl
dc.subject.enoptical imagingpl
dc.subject.enlaser techniquepl
dc.subtypeArticlepl
dc.titleEvaluation of laser computer mammography (CTLM) usefulness in differentiation benign and malignant breast lesionspl
dc.title.journalPolish Journal of Radiologypl
dc.typeJournalArticlepl
dspace.entity.typePublication
dc.abstract.enpl
Background: To evaluate the usefulness of the CTLM method in differentiation between benign and malignant neoplasms in female breast tissue (benign and malignat breast lesions). Material/Methods: Retrospective analysis of 482 lesions in female breast tissue, verified histopathologically on the basis of material obtained by core biopsy. In this study, the CTLM diagnosis was established prior to biopsy, so the radiologist describing the CTLM examination was unaware of the histopathology finding; he/she was however familiar in most cases with the outcome of mammography, was involved in performing/evaluating the mammography and/or performed an ultrasound examination. CTLM examinations not applicable for evaluation because of artifacts were excluded from the analysis. A CTLM examination result was counted as positive, i.e. the presence of angiogenesis was detected, when an area of enhanced laser light absorption was visible and that area was not a normal vascular structure. Results: In 2005, angiogenesis was observed in 25 out of 65 malignant lesions (38.46%) and in 40 cases (61.54%) areas of enhanced laser light absorption were not detected. Among 142 benign lesions, in 57 cases (40.14%) enhanced laser light absorption (ELLA) was observed, whereas in 85 cases (59.86%) it was absent. Coefficients calculated for data acquired in 2005 were as follows: sensitivity = 38%, specificity = 60%, positive predictive value (PPV) = 30%, negative predictive value (NPV) = 68%, diagnostic accuracy = 53%. In 2006, angiogenesis was detected in 46 out of 97 cases (47.42%), whereas in the remaining 51 (52.58%) cases ELLA was not observed. Among 178 benign lesions, in 46 cases (25.84%) ELLA was observed, whereas in 132 cases (74,16%) it was not. Coefficients calculated for data acquired in 2006 were: sensitivity = 47%, specificity = 74%, positive predictive value (PPV) = 50%, negative predictive value (NPV) = 72%, diagnostic accuracy = 65%. The presented data reveal that an increase of absorption of laser light was observed by us more often in cases of malignant lesions that of benign ones (47.42% vs. 25.84%, p<0.001, data from 2006). Conclusions: The obtained results demonstrate that indeed a positive CTLM reading is observed more often in malignant rather than benign lesions, and that the examination is a valuable method adjunct to classic X-ray mammography.
dc.contributor.authorpl
Bobek-Billewicz, Barbara
dc.contributor.authorpl
Jurkowski, Marek K.
dc.contributor.authorpl
Steinhof-Radwańska, K.
dc.contributor.authorpl
Stobiecka, Ewa
dc.date.accessionpl
2019-04-29
dc.date.accessioned
2019-04-29T12:20:18Z
dc.date.available
2019-04-29T12:20:18Z
dc.date.issuedpl
2008
dc.date.openaccess
0
dc.description.accesstime
w momencie opublikowania
dc.description.additionalpl
Bibliogr. s. 31
dc.description.numberpl
1
dc.description.physicalpl
27-31
dc.description.version
ostateczna wersja wydawcy
dc.description.volumepl
73
dc.identifier.articleidpl
677287
dc.identifier.eissnpl
1899-0967
dc.identifier.issnpl
1733-134X
dc.identifier.projectpl
ROD UJ / OP
dc.identifier.uri
https://ruj.uj.edu.pl/xmlui/handle/item/73879
dc.identifier.weblinkpl
http://archiwum.inforadiologia.pl/download/index/idArt/677287.html
dc.languagepl
eng
dc.language.containerpl
eng
dc.rights*
Udzielam licencji. Uznanie autorstwa - Użycie niekomercyjne - Bez utworów zależnych 4.0 Międzynarodowa
dc.rights.licence
CC-BY-NC-ND
dc.rights.uri*
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode.pl
dc.share.type
otwarte czasopismo
dc.subject.enpl
CTLM
dc.subject.enpl
breast cancer
dc.subject.enpl
optical imaging
dc.subject.enpl
laser technique
dc.subtypepl
Article
dc.titlepl
Evaluation of laser computer mammography (CTLM) usefulness in differentiation benign and malignant breast lesions
dc.title.journalpl
Polish Journal of Radiology
dc.typepl
JournalArticle
dspace.entity.type
Publication
Affiliations

* The migration of download and view statistics prior to the date of April 8, 2024 is in progress.

Views
1
Views per month
Views per city
San Jose
1
Downloads
bobek-billewicz_jurkowski_steinhof-radwanska_stobiecka_evaluation_of_laser_computer_mammography_2008.pdf
2
bobek-billewicz_jurkowski_steinhof-radwanska_stobiecka_evaluation_of_laser_computer_mammography_2008.odt
1